Today’s unexpected bombing in Jerusalem seems to be just one more violent event in recent weeks. [Unexpected because according to an Israeli police spokesperson on BBC radio, prior to the bombing all was quiet in Jerusalem and there were no indications of an increased terrorist threat. UPDATE: Now they say “Police were prepared.”]. Off the top of my head, here are the events:
1. Tragic murder of the Fogel family in Itamar
2. Last weekend, heaviest mortar and rocket attacks from Gaza in years. And more rockets and mortars today in retaliation for Israeli air force missile response yesterday which killed four people.
4. Grounding of an Iranian cargo plane (a huge Ilyushin IL-76TD) by the Turkish air force. This was the second plane grounded in the last few days. First plane had no contraband, but yesterday, the plane carried a large cache of weapons that was found hidden behind food cargo. The plane was bound for Syria.
5. Now this bombing in Jerusalem
All of these events seem unprovoked, which leads me to speculate that this may be the beginning of the Third Intifada. Just as the Second Intifada took violence to another level from the First, it is likely that the Third will also take things up a notch. As in any warfare, the enemy adapts its tactics. In this sense, it may turn out that the Security Barrier will force the other side to use rockets, mortars and probably new, dangerously innovative weapons and tactics if they are really waging a new widespread operation.
Let us hope not. But I would keep a close watch on events.
- Jerusalem Bus Bombing: The 3rd Intifada Begins? (themoderatevoice.com)
- Barrage Of Rockets Between Israel And Gaza Leaves 1 Dead (huffingtonpost.com)